He took me to Skowhegan with him getting me a scholarship.

I went out to Long Island afterwards and helped to put a roof on his storage shed.
I painted in his backward with him. Fairfield would come over and paint also.
Lisette made big Lunch and Dinners, and we looked at our paintings as we ate, going out to the studio after dinner to look more.
We had a kyack that we drove on bicycles to the beach and fished from for bluefish. We'd paint down at Sagaponac Main beach also. Lisette would drive our paint boxes down.

I had a shack I lived in down at the Fosters farm on Daniel's Lane in Sagaponac. I made paintings on a big fence Paul and I salvaged in the North West woods. I made big 8x 10 foot paintings out there in the middle of the field.




Paul Georges self portrait from the time 1974.
I went to Jane Freilechers for a party where Larry Rivers acted out for us and when Kenneth Koch threatened to skinny dip in her pool jumping up and down on the diving board-- we were all marshaled out by Paul, his wife and daughters in tow. I wanted to stay.
We'd go down to the beach instead and watch the progress as the big mansions slipped into the ocean from Hurricane erosion.
I soon had a girl friend and lived and painted out there as the situation made available. I made big figure paintings. We had older artists and critics over --they would just ignore me as I was figurative then and they were abstract. John Chamberlain said to me that "I wasnt talking to anyone with those," pointing to my painting.

We were painting now pretty much in NY and Roy and Angus and I had a job painting a big place near Lily Pond Lane.
I was starting to make Abstract paintings pattered after city grafitti.
We were all fired finally and we made it back to the city which we figured we were better suited for.

We lived at night making a treck from Max's and The Locale down to Barnabas Rex, Magoos and Puffy's and when a job in California presented itself I ran, feeling I'd escaped with my life.
I painted landscape again out there by a lagoon which I painted for the next 5 years or so.
No comments:
Post a Comment