
The figures were made at this 10' scale. It was part of the abstraction. I saw the color field spreading to the edges from the centered flower of the 1989 paintings. To me there was black and white underneath as drawing might be. It took a while to get to the surface one might say where the painting achieved its feeling of presence and being finished.

I guess I had gone out to make more plein air paintings on this process. At some point I changed to the cumulous clouded background. In my finished group all had this background which made it like the Giotto Chapel in Padua. A sacred chapel of an American ideal. Sacred here is not moralistic but a reverence for, and thus discovery of a reality which "sufficed" as Wallace Stevens says. "Stevens was concerned with the question ... the world now that our old notions of religion no longer suffice."
No comments:
Post a Comment