
I made these paintings somehow between two studios, moving from 25 Jay to 68 Jay and also my year split between CA and NY.
Between my Gallery closing and teaching at UCSB, and a new western content of Yosemite and Big Sur added.


In 1992 I showed Villa of the Sun at University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Leah Douglas curated the show Carter Ratcliff wrote an essay.
A lot going on. And all these paintings between.


The studio I moved to was like a war zone for the first year. I painted among the ruin. From this distance I see it had alot to do with the fragmenting aspect of the work. The bright nature of the work was always an Irony to me.


Rummaging through all the repeated
images, hardened to cartoon shape
the sincerity worn, the moment’s
come down-- clarity, clouded,
BUT SUN, set to shine, or created, the
VILLA, in the Sun!
interlocking puzzled, surface, breaking
into MYTH
America’s dying into America--
dying and, BANG
gone to America!
and buried in its mountains
and shining through
the radiant LIGHT--
Juggled Diamonded Light
Plunging
from Road Movie 2001


The western paintings would become the "Western Jaunt" shown at Shafrazi in 1993. And Ro Snell in SB, CA. I went in that direction after 1992. Oscillating back and forth from east to western influence of my plein air paintings each year..
No comments:
Post a Comment